Historic District Ordinances-- FAQ
- What is a Historic District Ordinance?
- A historic district ordinance preserves the character of the neighborhood through codes, covenants and restrictions.
- What does the residential property disclosure statement say?
- The owner makes no representations to any matters that pertain to whether the provisions of any historic district ordinance affect the property and purchasers are advised to exercise whatever due diligence a particular purchaser deems necessary with respect to any historic district designated by the locality pursuant to 15.2-2306, including review of any local ordinance creating such district or any official map adopted by the locality depicting historic districts, in accordance with terms and conditions as may be contained in the real estate purchase contract, but in any event, prior to settlement pursuant to such contract.
- Why is this information important?
- Before buying a home in a historic district, inquire about the restrictions or extra expenses that might be applicable, such as additions, windows and shutters, roof materials, painting, home insurance, taxation, and energy bills.